Holiday and Shopping Info
Public Holidays 2014
Berlin Guidefor vistors and residents
berlin.barwick.de & blog
The U5 links Alexanderplatz with Hönow on the eastern edge of Berlin.
Construction began in 1927 and was opened as far as Friedrichsfelde in December 1930. Between 1969 and 1973 it was extended as far as Tierpark. During the 1980s it was extended as an overground line as far as Hönow to serve newly constructed housing estates in the east of Berlin.
The U5 is a wide-profile line. It was formerly as Line E.