> > > > Postfuhramt
The Postfuhramt in Mitte's Oranienburger Straße is a large, elegant brick
building originally constructed in the 19th century as a distribution
depot and stables for Berlin's horse-drawn postal wagons. Currently it
is being used as an exhibition center by gallery C|O Berlin.
The Postfuhramt was constructed between 1875 - 1881 to plans by
architect Carl Schwatlo. It was heavily damaged during bomb raids in
1943 and 1944, although the building has largely been reconstructed.
Until 1989 it was used by various incarnations of the German postal
service. Following German reunification the building became surplus to
requirements and stood empty for several years. Between 1997 and 2001
it was used for various exhibitions.
Since 2006 it is being used by C|O Berlin.
How to get to the Postfuhramt: it is located next to S-Bahn station Oranienburger Straße. Trams M1 and M6 also stop here.
Oranienburger Str. 35-36
Oranienburger Straße (Station) (0.0 km), Oscar Wilde Irish Pub (0.4 km), Eastener Hostel Berlin (0.5 km), Hotel Melia Berlin (0.5 km), Ampelmann Gallery Shop (0.5 km), Village Voice (0.5 km), Strandbar Mitte (0.6 km), Ukrainian Embassy (0.7 km), Hackesche Höfe (0.7 km)