Holiday and Shopping Info
Public Holidays 2014
Berlin Guidefor vistors and residents
berlin.barwick.de & blog
Construction began before the First World War but the line could not be completed due to a lack of material and human resources. Building recommenced in 1919 and the section of line between Hallesches Tor and Zinnowitzer Strasse was opened in 1923. In 1929 the line was extended southwards to Tempelhof. Following the Second World War the line was extended northwards to Alt-Tegel (opened in 1958) and southwards to Alt-Mariendorf (opened in 1966).
The U6 is a wide-profile line. It was formerly known as Line CI/CII. It is 19.9 km long and has 29 stations.
Along with the U8 and the North-South S-Bahn line, the U6 was one of the so-called "Ghost Lines" which started and ended in West Berlin, but passed under the center of East Berlin without stopping. On the U6, stations from Schwartzkopffstrasse through to Stadtmitte (Station) were "ghost stations" ("Geisterbahnhöfe"), which trains passed through but did not stop at - with the exception of Friedrichstrasse, which provided access to a major inner-city border crossing as well as unrestricted interchange with the West Berlin S-Bahn lines which also stopped there.