Holiday and Shopping Info
Public Holidays 2014
Berlin Guidefor vistors and residents
berlin.barwick.de & blog
Warschauer Straße (Station)
Warschauer Straße is in VBB fare zone A.
The first station on the site was opened in 1884. It acquired its contemporary form in the mid 1920's in conjunction with the electrification of the S-Bahn. In 1983 it gained a further platform (on the northern side) to extend capacity following the extension of the S-Bahn in East Berlin. The station was never properly renovated, and became increasingly dilapidated. In 2004 much of the station building and concourse above the tracks was demolished for safety reasons and replaced by a temporary structure.
Warschauer Straße S-Bahn station is to be extensively rebuilt in conjunction with the reconstruction of the S-Bahn line between Ostbahnhof and Ostkreuz. A definite schedule for building work has not been decided upon, as of the time of writing.
The U-Bahn station at Warschauer Straße was opened on August 17, 1902 as the provisional terminus of Berlin's first U-Bahn line, the contemporary U1. Originally it was named "Warschauer Brücke".
With the construction of the Berlin Wall in 1961, the U-Bahn station was cut off from the rest of the U1 and fell into disuse. It was reopened on October 14, 1995.
East Side Gallery (0.4 km), Eastern Comfort (0.5 km), Oberbaumbrücke (0.5 km), O2 World (0.6 km), Space Beach (0.6 km), Schlesisches Tor (Station) (0.8 km), Bagdad (Imbiss) (0.8 km), Oststrand (0.8 km), Antikmarkt Berlin-Ostbahnhof (1.0 km)