Holiday and Shopping Info
Public Holidays 2014
Berlin Guidefor vistors and residents
berlin.barwick.de & blog
Uhlandstraße is in VBB fare zone A.
Uhlandstraße was opened on October 12, 1913. It was originally intended to be part of a U-Bahn line extending westwards along the Kurfürstendamm, via Adenauerplatz but which was never built (although some preparatory infrastructure has been constructed).
In 1949 the station was renamed to Uhlandstraße (Kurfürstendamm), but reverted to Uhlandstraße in 1961.
The station was closed between November 1957 and September 27 1961 during the reconstruction of Kurfürstendamm Station in connection with the construction of the U9. From the late 1960s onwards it became the end station of a short line (later known as the U3, but not to be confused with the contemporary U3) running a short shuttle service to and from Wittenbergplatz via Kurfürstendamm. In 1992, with the reopening of the U2 between East and West Berlin, the U3 was extended to Schlesisches Tor and renumbered to U15. In 2004, following further route changes, the U15 was dropped and Uhlandstraße became the western terminus of the U1.
Although Uhlandstraße was originally constructed with two entrances, the one at the eastern end was removed between 1957 and 1961. For safety reasons, a new entrance was constructed in December 2004. The new entrance is marked by a "Grenander Portal", a portal-style sign typical of many stations opened during the late 1920s, but which Uhlandstraße did not originally possess.
Kurfürstendamm (Station) (0.3 km), Marga Schoeller Bücherstube (Bookshop) (0.4 km), Knesebeckstraße (0.4 km), Kurfürstendamm - Ku'damm (0.5 km), Pakistan Embassy (0.5 km), Zoo Station (0.6 km), Savignyplatz (Station) (0.6 km), Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church (0.6 km), Hugendubel (Tauentzienstraße) (0.6 km)